SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dhigh1532

Blue Bird troubles

debbie321
15 years ago

ok I have a big problem! I moved here & set up feeders & after seeing a pair of Blue Birds, I bought some boxes.

thre was an old ornamental box hanging on the fence already. I looked in ad saw babies!

this is not a good box. no dropped floor etc..

well today I came home and two chicks were dead in there. I managed to get one out but to get the other I had to take the box apart. I hung a new one & carefully transferred the nest to it.

I have yet to see the parents go in. they do peek in there but I am real concerned. is there anything I ca do?

debbie in Texas

Comments (35)

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just checked the nest box. No MOM!!
    But the chicks are still alive.
    I wish I knew what to do!!!
    IS is common for them to have little mites ( I suppose they are ) all over them?
    Gosh I need help - I would love to save these two kids!

• mullipuff
    15 years ago

Any idea how old the babies are? Past the six day brooding period where Mama goes in the box, or still mostly unfeathered? If Mama and Papa are peeking in, the could be stuffing those little beaks with insects but just not going all the way into the box. Is the hole 1.5 inches - big enough for them to get inside if they want to? I am no expert, and hopefully lots of folks will respond tomorrow, but if the parents have found the babies they won't let them die if they can help it. If all else fails though, and the babies don't seem to be doing well by mid-morning, I'd try to get them to a rehabber ASAP. Not as good as Mom and Dad, but better than the alternative if things aren't working out. Good luck!!

• Related Discussions

Rain Bird trouble

Q

Comments (1)
    Andy, First check the wire connections between the controller and the problem zone's solenoid. See if the wire at the controller or at the valve has come loose. If you are not familiar with a controller/solenoid connection, then google information on how it works. It is unusual to be stuck open so also turn the solenoid itself clockwise and see if you can turn off the problem zone and then back on again. The easiest solution is to replace the solenoid and see if that works. To see if it is the controller switch wires for that zone with another solenoid valve and see if the problem shifts to the new zone, then replace the controller. If it is not the solenoid or the controller replace the valve. Do one thing at a time to isolate the cause. Just like working on a car problem. Aloha
    ...See More

Trouble with Birds Nest Fern

Q

Comments (1)
    I haven't seen that problem before but was wondering whether it might be from something in tap water. Rainwater is best. They're an epiphyte (and lithophyte) from rainforests, mostly growing on trees with no soil and roots exposed to the air.
    ...See More

Blue Spruce troubles...

Q

Comments (2)
    There are several diseases that Colorado Blue Spruce are susceptible to. Also the holes sound like possibly you've had sapsuckers (birds) going at the trees. Perhaps you could take some pictures and sen or take to your local county extension office. Someone there should be able to help you. Here is a link that might be useful: Spruce diseases
    ...See More

Blue Spruce in Trouble

Q

Comments (0)
    Pictures speak louder than words; help please!!!
    ...See More
  • bbcathy
    15 years ago

The mites or whatever they are have to go. You must do a nest change and brush them off the babies. That is probably what killed the other babies. They will kill the babies and possibly drive the parents away. The box must be scrubbed out and dried quickly. You need to make a new nest out of grasses and or pine needles about 3 inches deep. This is is not as hard as it seems. The birds do it without hands. You can fashion it in a square tupperware container and then transfer it.
    Cathy

• bbcathy
    15 years ago

This is what I found on sialis:

MITES

Mites are uncommon in bluebird nests, but are common in Tree Swallows (TRES) nests. Providing TRES with clean feathers for nesting can prevent mite infestations. This is probably unrealistic for large trails. In that case, try replacing the nest; or use a low-level (0.03 - 0.1%) of pyrethrin pesticide, under the nest (as a toxin, this is considered a last resort.) 1/4 teaspoon of all natural food grade (not swimming pool) diatomaceous earth underneath the nest might help - it dries mites out. Put it in a plastic bottle with a very small opening so you can squeeze it out - it comes out in a cloud of dust. If there are nestlings that are too young to move, place your hand or a paper towel over them during dusting.

• bbcathy
    15 years ago

It could also be blowflies since I can't see what they look like. http://www.sialis.org/forumlinks.htm#blow

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: bowflies

• lisa11310
    15 years ago

Debbie, are you sure you are seeing "mites" I only ask because a few years ago I thought I was seeing some kind of little bugs, the babies looked like they had been "salted" I don't rember the exact answer but it had to do with feathers growing and was normal. If that's the case there's no telling what may have killed the other babies, preditors, box got to hot, ect.. If they are mites or bugs, you have already been given good instructions and need to act quickly. Changing boxes or nests should not keep Mom and Pop from feeding them. It sure would be helpful to have some kind of idea on how old the babies are, what the dead ones looked like (ie pecked, bloody, or starved)and if you have House Sparrows. There are so many things that could be going on. Put some meal worms out and watch for the parents.
    This should help you locate a rheabber http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm Good Luck and let us know what happens.

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes they are mites, but after I moved the nest I dont see near as many. They are tiny and red in color.
    SO I should change the nest material too?
    Ahhhh I hope it doesnt make them leave the chicks.
    They are going in the new box now and I fed meal worms, they gathered some and are going in there with them.
    I made a new nest with lawn clippings (hope that is ok) and put them back in there, JUST NOW, I didnt see but one or two mites this time and I blew out the box real quick, Mom and Dad were watching so I hope they dont leave!
    Thanks so much!
    OH I looked at pictures so I think they are about 6-7 days old.
    Nothing I could see on the dead ones, just they were dead. the box they were in was dark brown, maybe it got too hot?
    the new one is the natural cedar that I got at Wild Birds Unlimited

• malinda
    15 years ago

Debbie and I have been emailing eachother since last night -- I am very happy to hear that the adults have accepted the new box and are going in and feeding. Now, about the grass clippings -- do I understand right that this is fresh just cut grass, not brown dried grass? I don't know about that - maybe someone else has had to use that for nesting material in a nest change. If you can get out, any store that sells guinea pig or rabbit food and supplies will have small bags of Timothy Hay or other hay which is dried grass. School playgrounds, cemeteries, roadsides, or parks can also be a good source of dried grass because they are mowed often. Hopefully it was just the mites that caused the deaths of the other nestlings and now that the mite numbers have been drastically cut with the changing of the box and the nesting material, things can go along a little closer to normal. In the very near future, the nestbox needs to be taken off the fence and onto a pole with a baffle, then you will be all set for another round without all the drama - LOL. You can get everything you need at a local Home Depot type store for the pole and baffle. Keep us updated on how they are doing -- everyone is very interested~ And read the links I sent for the Sialis website. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and glad everyone was here to help. Malinda

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well it is curt grass but I picked the dry stuff off the top, Do you think that will be ok?
    THANKS SO MUCH for all your help, you helped save these babies I HOPE!!

• malinda
    15 years ago

Debbie -- I really don't know, I keep old unused nests on hand for just this occassion. It will proabably take a few days to dry out well -- I am thinking that when we cut the lawn and pile up the clippings, it can get kinda wet and stinky -- so if you CAN find some dry brown grass around, or pine straw - maybe that would be best. What's one more change at this point, you have to be a master at it by now! LOL! Maybe you can get pooped on again. Technically, mama can haul in a load of stuff that is to her liking to put right under the babies if she wants to. I have had females bring in dry grass during the middle or end of a nesting, but not very often. You wouldn't need much, and they are old enough now not to really need a nice cup. Maybe someone else has other ideas, the hay I know works well. Malinda

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks
    I just checked them again, one is quite smaller than the other one, probably the last to hatch??
    anyway they are alive still and Mom is still going in there.
    I have to go get more meal worms tomorrow - HOPEFULLY they are still alive and well by then - I didnt go today, I was ..well... a little tied up re-nesting you know LOL
    Thank YOU So much for all your help ALL of you and I am REAL glad I found this list!
    Debbie

• lisa11310
    15 years ago

Debbie, glad to hear they are ok! Be prepared to get wax worms...there is somewhat of a mealworm shortage, wax worms , so I have heard are even better for them...just a lot more $$$$$

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ahhhhhhhh I lost another one tonight.
    I came home and checked, it was the snaller one, this one never acted right since I found them. The remaining one hunkers down low when I open the box and seems alert so I am praying it makes it.
    Darn this is heartbreaking
    Debbie

• lisa11310
    15 years ago

OK let's name it Pheonix #3 Linda has named her long shot babies Pheonix and they all made it! We will all be pulling for this little one. Baby birdy prayers going out!

• bbcathy
    15 years ago

Debbie Good going on saving the baby. Things were to far along to save more but if not for you none would have made it. If the grass clippings you used is not completely brown and dried it will rot and attract more bugs. I usually get my grass from the field across the street but there are always long dried weedy grasses by fences somewhere or some long pine needles are always beneath the trees.
    Cathy

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok Phoenix it is!
    I am off to get meal worms ( I Hope).

No the grass clippings were dry, I carefully picked out the top ones - the wind had done a good job, but I will check today anyway to make sure PHOENIX is dry :)

• donnalovesblue
    15 years ago

Kudos to you, Debbie, and I am crossing my fingers and toes that another little Phoenix makes it! Keep is posted..

Donna

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!!!
    I bought meal worms (2000 for 23.00) and some suet treats!
    they love that!
    Phoenix is being fed good now.
    Are young Blue birds spotted on their backs? I have seen one of those today

• lcmoore99
    15 years ago

Debbie,

I can confirm that last year Phoenix 1, the runt of a very stressed brood (hatchlings had been thrown out of the box two nights in a row) SURVIVED!!

And just in April, after a house wren pecked 6 titmouse eggs, only 1 survived...it even survived a house wren attack at day 15!

So you keep believing that Phoenix 3 will survive, too. I know that it will!

As for young blues, they are spotted on their underside and on top too with some blue on the wing feathers depending on their sex. Attached is a pic of a fledgling.

Keep us posted on Phoenix 3...I feel like I have a vested interest in he or she.

Good job Debbie!!!

Linda...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda! that is what I am seeing then, young Blues!!!
    Cool! so that means there are more out there. OH NO!!
    I have to get more boxes!!
    AHHHH
    OH and Phoenix 3 is still alive and well
    THANKS TO YOU ALL!!
    Debbie

• lisa11310
    15 years ago

We need an update please!

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok so far so good! Phoenix 3 is still alive and doing great.
    I got my HOSP trap yesterday so I have to wait until he decides to make a nest in the other house right?
    He tries to go in the BB house yesterday! But luckily Daddy was there and swooped him right down to the ground, I was hoping he would kill him but he didnt.
    By the photos I have seen, Phoenix 3 seems to be about 8 days old.
    I am SO glad I found this group and was told what to do.
    I am crossing my fingers and praying he makes it.
    I think this pair had nested before somewhere close as I have seen at least two young ones coming in now to eat meal worms.
    this is SO Much fun to watch and learn - not to mention NERVE RACKING!!!
    Debbie

• malinda
    15 years ago

Great News, Debbie! Thanks for the update, I have been wondering how it was going. Did you read about Sparrow Spookers, yet? You can keep that HOSP off the box that Phoenix is in with a spooker and the adult blues will not mind one bit. He's been through enough, I would hate to see him hurt by a HOSP. You can easily make a spooker yourself with instructions on the sialis website. Keep us informed, everyone is pulling for him/her! Malinda

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Phoenix got killed by the HOSP.
    I went to Church and came home and found him.
    I ordered a Spooker and a repeating trap - too late.
    But they parents are nesting again and I should have my stuff in plenty of time. I feel this is all my fault as I didnt know anything about HOSP until I joined this list.
    I should have researched more before putting any boxes up.
    NOW I have people bashing me for "allowing" HOSP to nest.
    I didnt know any better until it was too late. But they are NOT nesting now.
    I have trapped 2 males and disposed of them. Cant wait for my repeating trap!
    I appologise for being so ignorant to the BB's but I will not give up. I love them
    Debbie

• crcst
    15 years ago

Debbie,please don't think anyone here is being too harsh on you.It's just that we have all learned the hard way and we are trying to help.I am sorry about your troubles.Just try again and listen to those who know,we all learn each day.Good luck and keep us posted....Jane

• donnalovesblue
    15 years ago

Debbie....OK, I'm not an expert by any means, but I have followed your story about Phoenix and I am so sorry this is not a happy ending...You do NOT need to apologize, at least to me...I can't imagine anyone bashing you and shame on them if they do!...This forum is not about chastising anyone, but to offer advice, info and suggestions, all geared toward successful nestings..I don't have HOSP (thank the Lord)...at least for now! I don't know if you made a mistake, but just remember, we all do, so don't beat yourself up...You seem to have a handle on things now, and I wish you all the luck in the world! Glad you are not giving up...

Glad to hear the parents are nesting again!!!

Donna

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Donna and Jane, I really appreciate your kind words.
    I am really sick about what happened.
    I sure wish I had known in time, what to do.
    At least now I know.
    Thanks again
    Debbie

• malinda
    15 years ago

Debbie, you will know better the next time, so try not to feel too bad. Just about everyone here got into this not really knowing how involved it would become. As Jane said, some of us have learned the hard way and try to help others from making the same mistakes. I still feel bad about my first ever nest of bluebirds. I lost 9 day old babies to a raccoon -- every bluebird box I had ever seen was on a wood post, so that was what I put mine on. The owner of my local bird store even told me to do it that way! It was an awful lesson for me - I learned the hard way that raccoons can climb a wood post as easily as we walk on a sidewalk. Then I learned about poles and baffles and there have been no more raccoon losses. We probably all have failure stories to share. Let us know how the new nesting goes. Good luck ~ Malinda

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Malinda
    I checked ealrier, there is a nest, not complete yet and no eggs.
    I did see one of the youngsters, I am assuming from the first nesting before I had them come to my yard.
    She was eating meal worms.
    I DO hope they do ok this time.
    Makes me nervous LOL
    Debbie

• bluebirdbabe
    15 years ago

Debbie, when I found this forum, I had a bb box on a wooden post. I did not know hosp. killed cavity nesting birds and I lost a momma TRES. sitting on four eggs.

I did everything I was told to do by the people on this forum. All of my boxes are on metal poles and baffled. I put a sparrow spooker on the box after the first egg is laid and I rid my yard of hosp.

It is very sad what happened to you, but you can't blame yourself...you didn't know as many people don't know when they first start out. I only get mad at ignorant people which are people who get good advise and don't follow it and then more blues are killed.

Wishing you the best of luck with the new brood.

Karen

• bluebars
    15 years ago

Just to chime in, Debbie, I too, did everything wrong the first time, and the second time, and then some. Back then, there was no internet, only a book by Larry Zeleny. Now, we have all one another. How wonderful is that!?!
    You would be amazed how many people put out nestboxes, wanting to help the birds, but knowing very little about them. When problems happen, many of those people will not make the effort to learn, or will not make the effort to make changes, at the expense of the birds.
    But many will! We all start somewhere. We are fortunate to have the resources we have today, and each other. There will still be problems, but we have more tools and knowledge to prevent or fix them. Hang in there!
    BlueBars

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Karen and BlueBars!
    I need all the encouragement I can get. They are definitely making a second nest in a different box.
    I am assuming it is the same pair.
    They both ate their Meal worm breakfast and she is now brining in more material.
    How often should I check the nest?
    I dont want to over do it, but I need to know when that first egg is laid so I can put my spooker up!
    I hope it doesnt spook THEM off, they have been through alot.
    Thanks Again!
    Debbie

• bluebars
    15 years ago

You can check daily, some people check weekly, especially when they have to monitor a lot of boxes on a trail. She will most likely lay egg in the morning, so wait until after noon or so. Speak softly as you approach, which will allow her to leave if she wishes. You don't want to startle one another.
    Scaring her would be a bad thing.
    Our Mama bluebird will sometimes sit tight on the nest and look up at me like "puh-leeeease leave me alone." But she knows me and is not afraid.
    I have not used a spooker, so I cannot advise about that.
    You can find a lot of info at http://www.sialis.org/
    BlueBars

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.sialis.org/index.html

• bluebirdbabe
    15 years ago

I check the nest 3 or 4 times a week and after hard storms. I usually do it around 3-4 pm. That way I know she is done laying. As I approach the box I say "Momma blue" and she will fly out to a near by tree. I look in and leave. I have never had a blue or tres. for that matter reject a box with a spooker on it. Watch to make sure she goes back in. She may fly around the box a little unsure at first, but she will go in and dad blue will usually sit on top of the spooker :)

After I lost my TRES. to a hosp. it has not happened again. I learned from my lack of knowledge regarding hosp. They don't last long in my yard.

Keep us posted.

Karen

• mulchmamma
    15 years ago

Debbie, with the amount of resources available to you and your willingness to learn, your birds will be better for it. Every one makes mistakes but no one should repeat them-that is the difference between being ignorant and just plain (shall I say it??-stupid). I learned too late how simple a spooker was to make and too soon that there were HOSPs in my neighborhood. That was a very hard lesson.

We are not "Mother Nature" and failures do happen, in spite of providing the very best for our birds. These cavity nesters face a hard up-hill battle in the best of times but the fact that we see them more now in our lifetimes than ever before, means that we, who care, do make a huge difference. For those people who never make mistakes..it's a good thing they don't have noses made out of wood. LOL

Linda