SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

I am SO SO SAD

lisa11310
14 years ago

The story of my TRES nest ends sadly. I told you about the first two to fledge and how wonderful it was. The others did not leave the box on Friday. I was up early Saturday to see the rest go. There were 3 babies wresteling around in the hole all morning. I never could tell if they were the same 3 and was hoping the runt had made it. I ran upstairs for a potty break and another cup of coffee around noon and sure enough when I got back there was only one baby in the hole. I figured 2 had left together.I kept hoping I would see a second little face in the hole but never did. 2:00 the parent came by but the baby had left the hole, the parent went in the box and came out alone. I was really worried at this point. The baby did make it back to the hole . The parent had not fed these babies (that I could see) since Friday. Sialis says they may not return to feed them once fledging starts. I fought my urge to go to the box and try to feed them all day. At 4:30 the parent made another flight around the box but did not stop. At 6:00 we left to take my Father to dinner and I knew that I would have to wait till morning to check on this baby. I had made up my mind that I was going to try to feed this baby if it was still there. I kept telling myself the parent would not just let this baby starve to death. There were plenty of bugs out. This morning I went to the box knowing the runt was probably dead and was prepared for that. I opened the box to find 3 dead babies. I have never felt so terible in my life. The runt had obviously died days ago but the other two were peeking yesterday. I had sat there and watched them starve to death. I will never forgive myself for not acting on my gut instinct. This is the first time in my 5 years that I have ever lost a parent or a baby, I have only lost a clutch of eggs until now. I saw the parent fly low through the trees yesterday so I am not even sure the 3rd baby made it any farther than that, I hope it did. Can anybody tell me why this parent let these babies starve? I am just beside myself with guilt and grief.

Comments (15)