SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilaschnauzies

Who Needs Expensive Feeders!

sheilaschnauzies
11 years ago

Last year, long story short, I had to go through two hip replacements and 11 hospitalizations. Knowing I would have a lot of "stuck in the house" time, I put together what I call my "Out My Window" garden right outside my desk's window. (For the whole story on what's in it, how I built it, and more, see the link below). Anyway, I thought it would be fun to tell you about who has visited the garden so far this year!

The biggest excitement was the arrival of the hummingbirds last week! I don't know their name, but they are green and white with the red ring around the neck.

The funniest visitors are my baby black squirrels! There are three of them, and they come to my garden each morning to snack on the birds' food. Thinking myself very smart, I bought a nice new bird feeder this Spring, only to have the baby squirrels totally tear it apart within a week with their antics!

So now I'm "keeping it real." Until I could buy a new feeder, I hung a little silver bucket up where the feeder was, and filled it with bird seed. Now the squirrels eat their breakfast, and when they are full the birds take over for awhile! Boy, have I learned from this - who needs a real feeder!

I also have a pair of doves who visit every evening, a big bunny who comes by early in the morning, a blue jay here and there, some finches, and a couple of Cardinals.

We recently spent four years on a farm in southeast Missouri and I had birds of every description there. After moving back to Omaha, I really missed my birds. Now after putting in this garden, a feeder and a water supply, they're coming back!

Image link:

Comments (2)