SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

2nd Bluebird nest got raided :(

terrene
13 years ago

Hi, I don't post here much, but I do read a lot to learn about these beautiful birds and look at the amazing photos on this forum.

Bluebirds have been nesting in Pine snags in my backyard since Spring 09. They have successfully fledged 4 broods - 3 last year and 1 this year. They were on the 2nd brood for this year, and on Saturday I noticed there wasn't any activity at the nest hole for hours. The hole is about 11 feet up so I set up an 8 foot step ladder and check the hole - nothing inside! The female and nestlings were gone! Immediately thought it must have been the raccoon that's around a lot lately - got the nestlings and maybe even the female the night before.

This pair and their offspring have been visiting almost daily for over a year, and I have so enjoyed them coming to eat suet in the winter and nesting in the back yard. I was crushed. :(

It has been 4 days and the male Bluebird is here and 2 fledglings from the first brood came yesterday at the bird bath, but NO sign of the female. The male has been singing in the yard a lot and I've observed him go to the hole and duck in and out on 2 occasions, so he appears intent on remaining in his territory. Maybe he wants to attract another mate and nest in the snag again? If so, I MUST baffle the snag somehow so this does not re-occur.

I have squirrel/raccoon baffles on the feeders which are pole-mounted and they work perfectly. Anybody have idea about how to baffle a dead tree? I was thinking a big diameter stove pipe, or sheet metal wrapped around, at least 3 feet high from the ground.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio