SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

911!! Bluebirds Vs. HOSP!!!!

ohsoblue77
11 years ago

Well things are heating up at my 2nd site.

There are 2 boxes. One has a single HOSP that I had my Van Ert Trap in all morning and the b#$#% didn't go in!

The 2nd box had some droppings in it after I eliminated a pair of HOSP from it about 2 weeks ago.

Today, upon opening it, I was graced by the most friendly bluebird pair in the neighborhood! The female landed within 10 feet of me and I could have taken a great picture!

But I digress; a pair of HOSP is causing huge problems! The Blues were harassing the heck out of them, chasing them, landing on the box, and Mrs. Blue was even on the ground gathering nest material and taking some to the box.

This appears to be an extremely dominant pair of Blues. But we all know it can be a matter of minutes before a nesting attempt leads to attacks, broken eggs, and dead adults.

As many of you know, this kind of activity makes Van Ert trapping extremely difficult. One minute the HOSP is there and about to go in, the next the Bluebirds are darting after the HOSP.

I usually don't have this issue. Normally the Blues won't make much of an effort to nest until the HOSP are gone.

Maybe monofilament (fishing line) is in order?

I'll take a look at Sialis again, but being my 7th season I feel I've seen the info a million times over. Things usually don't work out like this so any input would be appreciated!

~Tim
NE Ohio

Comments (10)