SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joan754

Urban vs rural gardens

joan754
12 years ago

Hello everyone. I just discovered this forum and really enjoy it. I was wondering if most people on this site that get alot of birds are rural dwellers. I live in a small city and my yard has some trees and shrubs and the neighbors have trees and shrubs as well. I can attract some birds like goldfinches, chickadees, siskins, robins, grackles, etc. and lots of HOSP in the summer but the only thing that I seem to attract in the winter are HOSP and a single chickadee or 2 sporadically. The chickadee was coming every day but only comes sporadically now for some reason since Christmas. We have had an unusually warm winter (I'm from Saskatchewan, Canada) and I'm wondering if that is keeping some birds away. However, I talked to a couple of people who were rural dwellers and they have all kinds of birds coming. Do you think rural settings attract more species and numbers than urban settings? I jokingly told my husband I wanted to sell our city home and move onto an acreage in the country so that I could see more birds (I don't think he'd agree to that though). Anyway, it's been really discouraging this winter. I've put out BOSS, suet, seed bells, peanuts and a good quality mixed seed and all I see everyday are the HOSP. I sure would be excited if something else would show up. I did get a redpoll one day and a downy woodpecker. They ate at the feeder (had it to themselves), but never came back.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH