SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catfishsew

Finches at Niger seed feeder, no birds at other feeder-why?

catfishsew
13 years ago

Hi, I'm new at this. I put up feeders for the first time a few days ago. I've seen goldfinches around the neighborhood and neighboring woods, so I knew they were around and always wished some would come to our yard. I put up a Niger seed bag and had finches coming the next morning. I had a couple of other birds I did not recognize on it, too. I put up another feeder with a seed bell and nothing touched it. It was just a baffle I made from a clear plastic bowl with a seed bell hung under it. I made a few alterations to the feeder, added a tray and put black oil sunflower seeds and Niger seeds in the tray, in addition to the seed bell under the baffle. Still nothing is touching it. Maybe I'm just being too impatient, but I'm wondering if it might be because the plastic tray and bowl I used are shiny. I'm confused because some sources say birds are attracted to shiny things, and some say shiny things scare them. I'm posting a picture of the bird feeder I made. Any suggestions for improvements?

Also, I've been wondering how the finches so quickly became aware of the Niger seed feeder. Can they smell them from far away? Or could it be that other people had them up and they have learned to recognize by sight that that is where to go for food?

Image link:

Comment (1)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone