SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

need some input here

Ninapearl
15 years ago

second nesting of blues fledged successfully 10 days ago. as is always the case, she began building the very next day. about 4 days later, she laid her first egg. i was not expecting it so quickly so did not get the spooker up right away...

came home to find the egg on the ground, below the box. put spooker on immediately. i am not sure if it was a HOSP or a HOWR that did the dirty deed, i have been fighting both over the past few weeks...

the next day, no egg. there have been no more eggs in the box to date. the male will occasionally enter the box and remove a piece of grass. mind you, i never actually saw a HOSP enter the box and the spooker is doing its job. i really think it was the HOWR that tossed the egg...

anyway, i know she MUST have more eggs and i know she MUST lay them SOMEWHERE. could she have abandoned this nest and laid her eggs elsewhere? they are both coming to the mealworm feeder and carrying off mealworms to the woods so i know they are still feeding fledglings and i expect to see them come to the yard any day now.

i'm at a loss here. i have also seen the female enter the box where her nest is but she never carries anything out, only the male does this.

any thoughts? i'm completely stumped. should i remove the nest at this point??

Comment (1)