SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiedidcottage

Baby Bluebird Lost

katiedidcottage
12 years ago

I'm just devastated. The little baby did not make it through the night. I had seen the daddy a few times during the day, but had not sat and watched all day the way I did the days before on Monday and Tuesday, so I assumed they were feeding him like they should and like they had been. I have read on Sialis that bluebirds fledge a few days after the others and there are even pictures as well of a late fledger, so I thought he would be all right. He looks so perfect in every way, he just was not big enough to get out and join the world as fast as his brothers and sisters. I even stretched out his wings to see if they would, and they looked fine. So sad. :(

I did not want to open the box and check because that sounds like the most important thing ever. "Dont' check after 12-13 days!" But now I wish I had checked. I would have seen that the nest was wet and miserable and though there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the baby, it could have been unable to get out because of that. In fact, that could be why the other bluebirds fledged when they seemingly did in the wee hours of the morning. There were no insects, no larvae, the weather was perfect after that rain, it had just rained and for whatever reason gotten the nest wet.

~K~

Comments (3)