SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

Bluebirds have arrived

lazypup
14 years ago

Although Bluebirds are originally native to this region due to the industrial pollution from the steel mills they all seemed to dissappear in the late 1930's to early 1940's, however in the early 1980's the steel mills all closed down and we are just now starting to see a major resurgence of many birds and animals, the Bluebird being one of them. In fact, they are so rare that our state Audubon Society is requesting that we report all sightings and especially any successful nesting areas sites so they can track the progress of their return.

Last summer I was fortunate enough to see about three or four Bluebirds that frequented my yard although I could not confirm a nesting site.

This morning I was sitting on the back steps sipping a cup of coffee and snapping some pictures of Robins in the yard when I happened to see a bluebird land on a limb of our pine tree. The Bluebird then flew over to a nesting box on the next pine tree and landed on the roof. Moments later it dropped down to the entrance hole and peeked in, then it went inside for a few monents and out it came. off like a shot.

Ten minutes later it came back, only this time it was accompanied by its mate. They both sat on a limb of the pine a few minutes, then one at a time they both checked out the nesting box. To my amazement, less than 15 minutes later they were carrying twigs and nesting materials into the box.

Here a some pictures taken from about 100 feet away. Once they get established in the box I am aure I will be able to get some closer pictures, but for now I don't want to disturb them until the are comfortable with their new home.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio