SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lcmoore99

you will NOT believe this!!!!! Grrrr...

lcmoore99
13 years ago

I am shaking, I am so sad and VERY VERY angry.

I have been watching out for Mama and the eggs for all these days, 23 to be exact. Daddy Blue's been keeping the house wrens from the box, there's been no trouble from the wrens. I've never seen a male bluebird do such a good job of protecting the nest.

You know me, I either have both eyes on the nest cam or one eye on it and am always very close. Stupid me took a shower. I take SHORT showers.

I've had it in my head that what Daddy Blue's been doing by coming into the box these last few days (see my other post) is trying to convince Mama that it's time to abandon the nest.

So I come out from my shower first thing I do is check the video feed and there are only 3 eggs in the nest. I figured that they had started to remove the eggs, something I read that they will do.

I thought "Gee, before they take another, I'd like to see what's inside" and when I went outside, I saw a cracked egg at the base of the box. I'm still figuring that they dropped on. I took 2 eggs out of the nest leaving 1.

I went back and look at the video for the time I was away and the DAMNED HOUSE WREN WENT INTO THE NEST, PECKED 2 EGGS AND TOOK THE EGGS OUT!!!!

First, where was Daddy?? Second, look what =I= let happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got what remained of the one egg on the ground and when I brought it in, it was an embryo, not fully developed. I've taken photos so you can help me see what stage it got to.

I cracked the other 2 and they are just fluid and some kind of white object, perhaps the very early start of a chick. And all 3 eggs stink, smell fishy.

Now Mama Blue is sitting on that one egg!!!!!!!!!!!! Then she started to pull nesting material on top of it and I figured she was burying it. She then sat on the egg but she was very very agitated, looking under her and digging at the nest.

I put out some mealworms to see if Daddy is around. I thought maybe he had abandoned her. He's here. She just left the nest and the one egg is NOT covered.

My impulse is to take the last egg out and let her start again. What do you think? I cannot find the 2nd egg that the House Wren took out (I walked the whole yard) but I'm guessing one of my dogs will find it).

I am sick to the stomach. I will have video of the HOWR in the box, pecking the eggs.

I know that there were no chicks going to hatch but I feel absolutely AWFUL!!!!!! when I went out to look for the other egg, I could hear those evil birds singing at the top of their lungs.

Sick. Linda....

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio