SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craftylady6

Should I change my setup for second clutch?

craftylady6
13 years ago

Ok, don't EVERYONE yell at me for letting this happen... I didn't know last year how bad putting a bird house on a tree was. I had two successful fledgings but my male was killed by A HOSP. (I trap and kill them now) After doing the research I found out how bad having the birdhouse on the tree really was. I had a new house with pole ready to go for this year but failed to get it up in time before the blues nested in the house on the tree. I have a battery operated electric fence protecting the bottom of the tree from ground predetors. I laid out $80 because I felt so bad that I let them nest in a potentially exposed nestbox.

My question is: I really want the blues to renest once this clutch fledges next week. I feel they would prefer the same nest box like last year.

-Should I go ahead and put up the correct pole/baffle? Or do you think with the electric fence I can leave it alone this year?

-IF I do move it, should I use the same box, will that help them come back? We have built one ourselves that is really nice with a pitched roof, thick wood... but I could wait to use that till next year or put up another one in the back of my yard..

Comments (3)