SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Have you fed your worms today?

Earthworms that is. Those of you who subscribe to the Texas Gardener Seeds Newsletter already read the article on putting cottonseed meal on lawns, as Lou has often advised us to do. This not only feeds the lawn, but it also feeds the earthworms which produce an even more potent fertilizer. Here are a couple of paragraphs from the article.

"Vermicompost, or Âworm poop, is among the richest natural fertilizers you can provide to your garden," explained Felder Rushing, a retired horticulturist from Mississippi State University, radio co-host of "The Gestalt Gardener" aired on Mississippi Public Broadcast and author of 15 gardening books, including Passalong Plants, Gardening Southern Style and The Mississippi Lawn Guide. "Worms eat the cottonseed meal for the protein, and then convert it into super rich organic compost, which is great for plants.

"On top of being safe to use, cottonseed meal supplies gentle and steady nutrition," he explained. "It doesnÂt provide the big rush that chemical fertilizers do, and thatÂs its advantage. When you apply cottonseed meal, it is broken down into the soil by microorganisms and worms, which makes the nutrients available for a long period of time. In the process, they enrich the soil, and you donÂt run the risk of environmental run off."

He also says that the big fat healthy earthworms tunnel deep into the soil opening it up to hold water and grass roots.

Another way to feed the earthworms is to do 'in place' vermic-composting. I fill up a two gallon ice cream bucket (that has a lid) everyday or two with kitchen scrapes, no fats or meat. I take it out to the plant beds, stick a shovel deep in as I can get it, pull up the soil with the shovel still in place, dump in the scrapes, and let the dirt back down over it.

My dog never bothers it, nor do any other critters that might be out and about. I used to take the scraps out to the compost pile, but am getting too lazy to turn the pile and give it even the little care it needs. Anyway I figure it does more good faster this way.

BTW, I learned about the Texas Gardener Seeds newsletter on this forum. You can subscribe here:

http://www.promit.com/subscribe.aspx?lid=2

Here is a link that might be useful: More about vermiccomposting the regular way ...

Comments (5)