SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

Juncos vs goldfinches

Pyewacket
10 years ago

I put bird feeders up in July or early August and no birds found them until the past couple of months. Now the thistle feeder is regularly visited and emptied by goldfinches.

A couple of days ago I saw a couple of juncos feeding at ground level under the thistle feeder. I've seen small birds feeding there off and on for awhile now, including some mourning doves which I did not know could eat nyjer seeds.

By today, they were back and had obviously brought all their friends and relatives. I have 10 to 20 juncos hopping around out there pecking at the spilled nyjer seed most of the day.

All of which is fine - until I saw a junco fly up to the bird feeder and chase off all the goldfinches. I usually have 2 to 6 goldfinches feeding at that feeder at a time. Then he sat there and sort of guarded the feeder. When another junco flew up to try to feed at the feeder, he chased him off as well.

Now the goldfinches can only feed at the feeder when he isn't guarding it. I think he has FINALLY eaten his fill and flown off because he is gone and the goldfinches are back. But he guarded it for most of the morning and into the early afternoon, until just now. He flew away once but then he or his identical twin was back in a few moments, chasing off the one or 2 goldfinches who had dared to return.

I'm wondering if this behavior is typical of juncos and if I am going to have a problem managing to get food to the goldfinches if this behavior escalates to the rest of the flock, or if this is aberrant behavior that will probably remain limited to that one bird? The rest of them seem perfectly happy to hop about on the ground picking up the spill. Except for the one junco the bully junco chased off, the other juncos don't seem to show any real interest in the feeder, even if there are no other birds at it.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert