SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scorpgirl29

Bird Behavior Questions

scorpgirl24
15 years ago

Hi All!

I am so looking forward to the spring and getting out in the garden. This winter has been a busy bird season! I noticed many more goldfinches, chickadees, titmice, woodpeckers, juncos, cardinals and many more.

This morning was very strange, however. I had my usual birds out at the feeders-there were many. I noticed how loud the surrounding bird calls were. It sounded like nothing I have heard before. It was as if every bird was calling at it's loudest and all of them at the same time. I could differentiate each call separately, but it was almost like the sound of a jungle. Then all of a sudden, I heard a blue jay call only twice. Then it was complete silence. It was a shorter call than usual-more of a warning? Then all the other birds stopped calling and even the squirrels froze and stopped feeding. The birds on the feeders stopped feeding, but all did not fly off-they just stopped in their tracks. I listened/looked for a hawk, as I have heard that jays do warn other animals. It went from soo noisy, to complete silence-very eerie!! I thought maybe I heard a hawk, but could not visually locate it. Do you think that's what it was?

I also noticed that when my feeders are empty of birds, all it takes for a "feeding frenzy" is for one bird to fly up. Is this common bird behavior?

One more question. I have seen many mockingbirds in my neighborhood, but have only rarely seen them in my yard. In the warmer weather, we have many catbirds, but rarely any mockingbirds. Any thoughts? Thanks for any replies. I'm really getting into this birding thing! I hope to be able to post some photos soon!

Jo

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022