SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brit_n_rick

Pit Greenhouse in Texas? Advice please

brit_n_rick
12 years ago

Hi - I posted this inquiry in the greenhouse forum but I thought I would post it here as well.

We are planning to build a small wood-frame greenhouse, approximately 12' x 12' using recycled glass patio doors. We want to use it simply to extend the fall crops, start spring seedlings, and use it as a winter cold-storage cellar. We are not planning to grow in winter - just overwinter some lettuce, kale, broccoli, and such.

We love the idea of a pit greenhouse because the temperature might stay a little warmer inside and that means less maintenance and less monitoring on our part. We would prefer NOT to heat it. Our idea is to dig down about 3 FT and have a 3FT foundation of cinder blocks, gravel floors for drainage, and then have the patio doors and wood framing start at ground level. Greenhouse will get full-sun. We will also use water barrels inside to help store heat.

We live in east Texas (Zone 8b) and we have pretty mild winters - it is only about 36 degrees (average) in January with a few nights dropping down below freezing. The frost-line in our area is only a few inches - most of the pipes are buried at only 12" down.

My question - Do I need to go down further than 3 FT? Or is this overkill for my area? My goal is to avoid using a heater in the winter. I have done some online research about earth-berm / pit greenhouses but the problem is that most of these greenhouses are in areas where there is severe winters. I'm afraid this might be overkill for my situation ... but I also want to build it "right" from the beginning. I don't want to spend the time to build it at ground level and then have thoughts of "I should have done this or that".

I'd like to hear (and see pics!) of other people's pit greenhouses... ANYONE IN TEXAS HAVE A PIT-TYPE GREENHOUSE THAT THEY CAN SHARE? I'D LOVE TO SEE YOUR PHOTOS AND HEAR YOUR STORIES. THANK YOU!!!!

Here is an inspiration pic:

{{gwi:302288}}

Comments (10)