SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeemelrose

Reducing Feeders in Summer

chickadeemelrose
14 years ago

Hi folks,

A quick question: I am planning to take down some of the feeders I had up all winter (they were all used). But now that bugs are starting to come out, flowers, etc. and we have a big vegetable garden, the birds shouldn't need much seed, right? We should have a great crop of native flowers and shrubs this summer too. So it's been my understanding that the birds shouldn't need so much from us in the summertime.

To be honest, both of our bird feeding stations are attached to our deck, and it would help make our deck a much more livable place to take those down and move a couple of feeders to a safe place in our tree nearby for the summer - one BOSS feeder and the fruit/jelly feeder that the catbirds love here. This would free up our deck from (you know what) and seed hulls plopping down on us while we have dinner outside.

I started out so gung ho here with the birds that it sort of took over, and it's been very successful this winter. But now I need to find a middle ground so the people can have some space out there. Of course there will still be several bird baths all around our property.

Any experience others have had with "seasonal" moving of feeders, etc. would be appreciated.

Oh - and some exciting news - we have chickadees nesting in one of our houses already, for the first time - and the yarn in the suet basket is being used - a lot! - by somebody (thanks to a poster's suggestion here).

Thanks folks -

Donna

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21