SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leezen4u

Creating an environment to reduce insects and disease

leezen4u
12 years ago

I am so excited to see buds on the roses again and can't wait to see some of the newbies show their best blooms this spring! My fear is disease will come to the party and spoil the fun.....

I am trying to reduce insects (especially mites) and fungal diseases (especially mildew + rust) by better garden practices with my roses:

1. 1 x per week --- Water spray in the early am. to wash off the leaf tops and undersides of the roses, followed by a deep watering.

2. 2-3 x per year (February, May (if necessary) and August --- Add compost about 1-2" deep (Kellog's N'Rich from Home depot). Cover with bark nuggets.

3. This year I planted alyssum from seed companion plants around the roses.

4. February + August --- Add Alfalfa meal (1 cup per bush)

5. February --- Added earthworm castings 1 cup to each bush

6. February + August --- Add soil conditioners; 1 tbsp soil sulphur + 1 tbsp epsom salt + 1 cup gypsum per bush with the the mulch

7. 1 x per month --- fertilize with fish emulsion, liquid kelp, liquid iron+zinc and Super Thrive.

8. 3 x per year (February, May, August) --- Fertilize with organic time release fertilizer

9. Pick off diseased leaves asap.

10. January --- Dormant oil spray. Hopefully the only spraying

Any feedback? Anything else I should try?

Thanks as always for everyone's kindness in sharing their experience and hard earned wisdom.

Lee

Comments (18)