SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpev7hard_gw

PLEASE tell me I'm not losing my crop!

kpev7hard
10 years ago

I have five tomato plants growing in my little garden - two Better Boys, one Celebrity, one yellow pear, one Black Prince. I planted them according to this method:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0115023725174.html?90
I used rotted manure from my friend's cow, but I have used that same stuff on a bunch of other plants with no negative side effects.

They were doing great early in the season, growing very well. It's been an unusually wet season here in MD so I haven't done much supplemental watering. I have fed a few times with Tomato Tone.

A few weeks ago I noticed that one of the Better Boys was getting some yellow leaves low on the plant (that's the one in the picture). I know this can be normal so I didn't pay much attention. I went away on vacation for 5 days at the end of last week and the weather got very hot/humid. I had someone coming over to tend to my plants, but I don't know how often she actually came. When I got home today I noticed that the plants all look like they're dying! Lots of branches, all up and down the plants, are turning yellow and dying. The green leaves at the tips of the plants looks wilted. I watered them well but I'm concerned this is not a water issue but a disease issue! They seem to be fruiting well, but they look horrible.

One thing I wasn't sure about was my water. I have a barrel hooked up to my downspout which I use to water my plants. Over Memorial Day my husband replaced our roof with new shingles. Could it be that something leached into the water? I use that barrel to water all my plants, vegetables and flowers, and none of the other plants seem to be affected.

I sure hope I'm not losing my crop!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!