SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Bluebirds Finally Building!!!

ohsoblue77
13 years ago

After weeks of trapping HOSP (Still am some by the way) and plenty of TRES action, my bluebirds are FINALLY building a nest!

Actually it started within the last week. They placed a little bit of material inside in a circle then stopped which disappointed me. Now, in the last 2 days, the nest just keeps getting higher! This nest is at site #1, at a box pair which ALSO has a TRES nest in the box right next to it. They're doing a great job of helping defend! And I haven't seen any fighting between them.

Bear with me here though, because unfortunately I haven't been able to witness the building. But what separated the nest from the TRES was the deep nest cup. At that point I automatically knew it was my blues.

Also, at site #2, with a completed swallow nest, a male HOSP that was eying out the box finally took it over. I knew because the TRES were just putting feathers in the box. I 1st caught the Female then later got the Male. MY theory is that when it was 40 degrees and rainy yesterday morning here, the Swallows left in search of food and the HOSP took the opportunity. This box is Sparrow Spooker and Van Ert ready BTW.

I'm gonna try to get some pics of the nest. I just need to learn how to upload them on this website. Usually I can only get links to photos to work.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH