SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nina394

CSI: Bluebird Nest Failure

nina394
15 years ago

Another sad story:

Last weekend (I'm only able to visit my bluebirds on weekends) I found 5 eggs in one of my nest boxes. The bluebird parents were present, and the male spent most of his time perched on the roof.

This weekend I checked the box and found only two unhatched eggs AND a BB baby that had recently died (I'd say last night or this morning...) The baby seemed larger than a newborn but it was naked -- no downy fluff or immature feathers. There was no sign of trauma to the baby or the eggs and the BB male was still perching protectively on the nest box. I cleaned out the nest box and am hoping the BB pair will try again.

Full disclosure: I didn't put a sparrow spooker on the nest box last weekend, but I haven't seen house sparrows anywhere on our property.

Anyone have a idea of what might have happened?

My first thought was that the eggs and the one baby had been poisoned by a chemical that the mother had ingested in the neighborhood. My second idea was that it was due to inexperienced parents, as the male sitting on the nest box seemed somewhat on the small side...Finally we've been having some crazy spring weather here in CT - hot sunny days followed by very cold days and nights...

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

Nina

Comment (1)