SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Now to wait for the 1st egg!

ohsoblue77
11 years ago

My lone pair at home here have completed their nest! Nice, soft nest cup in place. Weather cooled down. Waiting anxiously to get my spooker out!

At my other site, where HOSP troubles had persisted, I tried monofilament. The HOSP was interested in the same box as the Bluebirds. However he was the type who sits in the trees and chirps, rather than goes in the box!

A couple days later, empty other than a dropping but it looked rather large to be a HOSP. Now there's a nest, the Bluebirds have started! Here's an EARLIER picture of it, sent by a neighbor friend so I could investigate who built it:

It was sent through phone. He usually removes it, but I advised him to leave it, as it looked neat enough to be a bluebird and not a HOSP.

I checked a couple days ago. Certainly the Bluebirds! A neat, center frame hole and pine needles in neat fashion ruled out being a HOSP.

One more thing. I've noticed HOSP nests seem to be almost ALL rootlets! Bluebirds will use rootlets too, but not to the extent that HOSP do. Just an ID hint for those having trouble in the early stages of nest building. It can be confusing if you don't actually see the birds!

God bless!

~Tim
NE OHIO

Comment