SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

Did I Make A Mistake? Please Advise

14 years ago

This has been the most unusual (and confusing) start of the nesting season I've ever seen. I'm hoping you experts can help. This post may be confusing as well.

Over two weeks ago, the dees began a nest in the box where the blues have nested for 2 seasons. The dees nested in another box about 50 ft. away. The blues kept chasing off the dees, and although they checked out the other box, no action!

The dee nest was in the beginning stage and they have not been at the nestbox and it appears they gave up. The blues continued to go in and out of this box while nesting material was still present.

Two days ago, I discovered the beginnings of what is apparently a dee nest, in another box on the opposite side of my back yard. Can't seem to catch them going in and out.

Since the blues are still around, I decided to remove the old dee nest....just moss around the crevices...in hopes the blues would finally get down to business, and the dees had chosen another box. Now I'm concerned that this may not have been the right thing to do.

And on top of that, a pair of BHNU started a nest in box #4, and lo and behold, they are now going in and out of this vacant "blue" box. Have they abandoned their nest as well?

Can anyone tell me what might be going on? This time last year, the blues and dees were all settled in comfortably in their homes! Many thanks!

Donna

Comment (1)