SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lori239

Bluebird lover needs to vent a little....

lori239
13 years ago

I have been a puple martin and bluebird landlord for 5 years now. Before I put any houses up, I did my research and put baffles on the poles and monitor regularly. I am the Conservation Chairperson for our local woman's club and these are comments I get often -

"I don't need a baffle, there aren't any snakes in my yard" (we live in SE GA, there are many snakes, and this is right after he told me about all the snakes he's seen in his yard) I bought him a baffle.

From someone who lets their cats roam and tells me everyone else around her does too..."Where's the best place in my yard to put a bluebird house?" Nowhere! So I told her cats kill birds all the time - she told me she has never seen a remnant of a dead bird in her yard, so maybe they have special cats that have no interest in hunting birds?

"I figure I'll just put up some houses and let nature take it's course" In other words, "I couldn't care less about what happens to any birds, I just like the look of the box in my yard"

"Something did nest in my bluebird box one year - wasn't a bluebird. Someone told me it was a wren. I don't know, could've been a house sparrow" That came from someone who lives along our riverwalk, where we have many bluebird boxes.

After a friend put a baffle on their pole, "It stopped the bluebirds from nesting in the box and I'm not putting it up again."

A friend called me distraught - "We found a snake in our bluebird box and all the babies are gone! I'm so upset." My response - "so you don't have a baffle??" Hers, "Yes, but it's in the garage"

I have a woman's club meeting tomorrow night where I'm going to address some of these issues. I do realize most won't listen, and some even seem to be offended, but I still have to try. Feel free to share your comments, as I would love to read some of them at the meeting!

Thanks so much.

Comments (4)