SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

Blues VS HOSPs

lisa11310
14 years ago

The saga of the HOSP continues. I have not been able to get a clean shot. The repeating ground trap has done no good so far. I was going to try the box trap today along with the 22 and BB gun....it's all out war, HOWEVER the blues decided to shop this box and seemed pretty intent on it today (It is my most popular box). My solution was to open the box...the HOSPs can access their 1/2 started nest, the Blues can not get trapped and will be discouraged from that box. Nobody has been back. Last year the blues started building 3-23 but stopped for awhile. (in 6 years the Blues first egg is always the week of the 4-26) The HOSP's started building on the 24th then went away till 4-3. I am not going to panic just yet. There are 4 nest boxes on this property, it's going to snow again this weekend. The Blues have to pick a box so I can protect them further. Nobody is serious about starting a family just yet. I am hoping the Blues will be safe until the HOSP pair get serious. I will keep you updated. For all you new guys, this is why we keep notes on our calendars, I would have been frantic without them. Any of you out there think there could be danger BEFORE they get to serious nesting please let me know! I forgot to add this is only my second time having to deal with HOSPs. Last years one pair crossed the rainbow bridge and went to heaven!

Blessing for the nesting season to everyone!

Comments (3)