SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mullipuff_gw

Interim HOSP deterrents?

mullipuff
14 years ago

My Blues came back Friday and quickly set up house in one of my two boxes. I was doubly excited because there was a pair of TRES flirting with my other box and getting ready to start their nest too.

On Saturday afternoon I heard the awful and evil "preep" of a HOSP and checked the boxes to see him proudly peeking out of the TRES' box. I went over and shooed him and removed what nest he had made. He was fast, though and had it all redone in about two hours. I removed it again and left the box open. Meanwhile Mr. & Mrs. Blue were going about their business.

Mr. HOSP and his girl were very confused by the open box and left after a few hours for what I hoped would be somewhere else. The box has been open since then.

But this afternoon, HOSPy was preening on top of the Blue's house and being chased by a very put out Mr. Blue. I chased the little buggar away, but he came back and has been pestering the hell out of Mr. Blue. So I closed up the TRES box across the yard, hoping this would at least distract the HOSP. My Van Ert is ordered, but not here yet.

This evening there are TRES flirting with the second box again and the Blues have what looks like a complete nest that's ready for eggs. SOOO - is there anything I can do to keep this HOSP away while I wait for the Van Ert? Also - since the Blues have yet to lay their first egg I can't place a spooker (and the Blaire (sp??) site is out of them). Once the Van Ert gets here, I don't know what I'll do if the TRES have set up house in box 2. HELP!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County