SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

Can You Shed Some Light On A Frustrating Situation??

15 years ago

Frustrating for me, anyway!

My two nestboxes are on opposite sides of the yard out of sight of each other. The blues nested last year in one located in a moe open space. BHNU nested in the other box next to a crepe myrtle, and they nested much later than the blues. The blues didn't even notice the "nuthatch" box last year...but, oh how things have changed!

For the past two to three weeks, the dees and nuthatches have been checking out both boxes but the blues manage to chase them away every time, from BOTH boxes. Those little blues are really guarding "their" box, and yet they don't want any residents in the other one!

Well, lo and behold this morning, I checked the "nuthatch" box next to the crepe myrtle and discovered nesting material and was quite sure it had to be the dees, and to my delight, I was right. When they had time to sneak in and start building without the blues chasing them off, I'll never know!

The problem is they continue today to harass the dees and and I'm afraid the dees will abandon their nestbuilding altogether and go elsewhere. Do you think that's a possibility?

The blues have NOT begun to build, and I'm thinking that if they would just get down to business, they would be too busy and forget about the dees in the other box! The weather here has been very warm and sunny, but rains are moving in tonight with slightly cooler temps.

I've tried telling the blues it's time to start construction, but they haven't been listening!!LOL!! I'm very excited to have both the blues and dees, but I'm worried the dees won't be able to finish their nest. What do you think? Thanks.

Donna

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County