SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lcmoore99

carolina wrens checking BB box

lcmoore99
15 years ago

Hiyah,

Two days this week, I had a Carolina Wren in the BB box! From what I understand and what I found in sialis.org, they usu. nest in 'unusual' places like "...tree cavities/crotches/upturned roots, vines, conifers, roots, tree stumps, abandoned cars, garages, porches, rafters, shoes, shelves, mailboxes, stone walls, pockets of a coat, hanging bags, ... etc."

I have lots of vines, roots, tree stumps, rafters, etc.... What's going on? I also had chickadees check out the box but that's pretty normal. And, unfortunately, I had a starling poke its head inside which caused Mama and Daddy Blue to dive bomb him.

The bluebirds are never far away. When the most recent Carolina Wren visited, Daddy Blue was right behind him and blocked the hole. I was watching "Bird TV" (I have a nest box video cam inside the box) so I went outside to distract Daddy to move from the hole and the Carolina Wren slipped out. The video is interesting in that the wren kept trying to jump up to the 'ceiling' which gives one a "bird's eye view", literally.

The bluebirds are protecting the box and mealie feeder but haven't yet put a down payment on it.

If you want to see these videos, I have them on my blog.

Bluebird blessings, Linda...

All the visitors have been met with

Here is a link that might be useful: videos of carolina wren visits

Comments (6)