SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lcmoore99

big scare with carolina wren in bb box!

lcmoore99
14 years ago

Wow, am I shook up...

...Mama Bluebird has laid 2 eggs in my BB box with a nestcam. Once before earlier this year, even before there was a nest, a Carolina Wren came into the box and Mama trapped it. At that time, the wren flailed and went crazy inside the box.

So today I see a Carolina Wren in the box on top of the two eggs and I'm thinking 'scrambled eggs.' Mama was at the hole, Daddy on top of the box. The wren was cool this time and Mama just slid in and the wren slid out. She's staying in the nest box for the time being.

What's up with a Carolina Wren behaving like this??? I have =never= seen this happen. Of course, the 'other' wren is a different matter. Haven't seen them yet and I've been watching CLOSELY. I made the mistake of not getting hubbie to finish the wren guard before the first egg was laid and now I'm wondering if I need a wren guard for a Carolina??????????? Maybe tonite I need to make a cardboard one till Sat. when we can put up the wooden one.

If this is the same wren, it already knows where the hole is. What is the ... is going on? Ideas???

I am still shaking. I'll have a video of this incident but not till tomorrow.

this is not the way I want to start the season.

Here's the video from March 6 of this year. See why I'm afraid that the bluebird eggs might be destroyed?

Appreciate feedback, Linda...

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina wren in BB box

Comments (4)