SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rae_stl

White Wonder Turned Out To Be, Wonder What....

rae_stl
14 years ago

I have few expectations for my first year growing toms. I expect I'll work hard, that I'll fight wave after wave of disease and pest, and that I'll shell out some serious $$$ since I'm growing organic. I also expect my tomatoes to be what I ordered. Thus far I've only had the former expectations fulfilled.

While spraying another round of neem to stave off another onslaught of mysterious disease, I got to thinking- Gee, these White Wonder (beefsteak) 'maters just aren't getting that big, and I wonder how I can tell when they're ripe. Just as I kneel down to spray the lower leaves of said White Wonder, what do I spy, but a glint of reddish orange.

I reached in the thicket of leaves and pulled out an orange cherry tomato. Looking at that russet globe, I heard my hopes for the year implode. All I wanted, and this is sad, was to try a white tomato. I slaved over that sickly plant for months, nursing it back from early blight, spider mites, over watering and other such ailments.

I just stared at that 'mater for a good while and mourned the white tomatoes I'll never have this year *sob*. Then I cursed loudly and lengthily. Lesson learned: Start from seed- it's cheaper and at least you have a decent chance it'll be what you wanted.

Who else has sweated and cried over a plant, only to discover it wasn't what you wanted or hoped for?

Comments (21)