SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltcollins1949

Rockport Hummer/Bird Celebration September 17 - 20, 2009

ltcollins1949
14 years ago

Rockport Hummer/Bird Celebration September 17 - 20, 2009

I want to remind everyone about our hummers down here in south Texas. "Inferno" is the perfect word to describe this summer of 2009 on the Texas Coastal Bend with no rain and hot, hot temperatures! We are in the worst drought ever recorded in history.

I've had around a couple dozen Ruby-throated hummers and one Buff-bellied feeding on my hummingbird feeders (I have out 24 feeders, i.e. large, medium and small ones.) and my hummer plants for a couple of weeks now. They seem to be migrating earlier this year. And I'm sure the drought is adding to seeing so many of them because all the wild nectar isn't growing this year. They have to depend on us to put feeders out if you don't have a lot of plants. Remember the solution for hummers is one part sugar to four parts water and NO RED DYE. Make sure the feeders stay clean and don't get a fungus in the water which can kill the hummers. At the height of the hummer migration here on the Texas Coastal Bend (generally the last half of September), I keep up about 3 dozen feeders of varying sizes and have to refill them 3 times a day. I will go through 50 to 60 pounds of sugar in one month.

And this year, for the first time in 14 summers, I'm having terrible problems with bees taking over the feeders. I've grouped feeders around my yard and am trying to deter the bees, but I'm afraid that the drought has caused them to come in looking for food and water. And I don't want to hurt them, so I just try to deal with them without getting stung.

Regarding the bees, a friend of mine suggested You can switch to any type of feeder where the nectar does not come up right under the feeder hole. The bees cannot reach the nectar through the holes when it is below. Several companies make those kind. Generally they are the flat ones. Make sure that no nectar is spilled on the outside of the feeder. Make sure that your mix is 1 part sugar and 4 parts water, no stronger. You can also try one feeder that they can use with very strong nectar to draw them away from the hummer feeders, or even an open dish with the strong nectar.

If you get a chance, come on down for the Rockport Hummer/Bird Celebration. If you are here, be sure to drop by and say hi since we are one of the many hummer homes. Hopefully we won't have to cancel it this year due to a hurricane like we did last year when Ike was heading our way.

Comments (3)