SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_mcgirt_gw

Native TX Gardner Needing to Use Non-Native Bamboo

Dirt_McGirt
9 years ago

Hi,

I am in inner loop Houston and have tried to use only native Texas plants at our House, particularly plants with high wildlife value for birds, butterflies, host plants for butterfly larva, etc.

However, I have just learned an open lot next to me that is one of a handful of non deed restricted lots in our neighborhood will have 2 four story town homes built 3 feet from our fence line that will tower over our backyard. This is a neighborhood of primarily 1930-194X single family homes. The town homes will be directly over our backyard on the right side (but not our house or front yard).

Next to the fence the town homes will be is approximately a 3 foot wide bed I can plant a hedge, so I do not have a lot of space to work with.

Is there any viable option other than a tall bamboo? Specifically I am looking at a clumping (not running!) type, probably timber bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii). It gets 40-55 feet high and as a clumping bamboo should be decently behaved.

How bad is this to someone trying to be a good native Gardner?

I hate to plant something with no native or wildlife value, but what else can block a 4 story townhouse with only a few feet to work with? And this would be only 1 relatively short side of our backyard.

Comments (6)