SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob414_gw

Resizing photos for posting with Irfanview.

bob414
17 years ago

When we post pictures we do it so that others can see and enjoy the pictures. It is a fact that 50% of internet users in the United States have dial up connections. I don't know how that rate applies to gardenweb members, but I do know that some of our members are stuck with dial up and have no other choice. I remember very well watching pictures appear line by line for several minutes when I used dial up and feel strongly that we should compress our photos when posting them for the benefit of those with slower connections, especially when we can do so without detracting from the appearance of the picture on a computer screen. Although I have photoshop elements and other commercial photo editing programs on my computer I have found the freeware utility Irfanview to be the easiest to use to do this. One reason is that you can compress several photos at the same time using the batch conversion feature. I emailed my granddaughter instruction for doing this and will post those instructions below. I will be happy to try to clarify or expand the instructions if anyone has questions. If you are interested google Irvanview Tutorials and you will find many places to download and use the tutorials.

Open Irfanview

Click File . Batch conversion/Rename

In the ÂLook in window select the directory your pictures are in.

Select the pictures you want to resize. You can select pictures in the same directory by clicking on the first one, then hold down the Ctrl key while you click on each one you want to select. If they are all in a row you can also select them by clicking on the first one then hold the shift key down while you click on the last one.

Click the ÂAdd button and you will see the file names of the pictures in the window.

Under the ÂUse this directory as output click -Browse and choose the directory you want the resized pictures to go into. You may want to make a directory for this before you start.

Under ÂWork as select the Batch conversion option.

For ÂOutput format select JPG, and click the ÂOptions button to the right of JPG. Set the ÂSave quality slider. I use anything between 20 and 30 %. This should give you files the right size.

Check the ÂUse advanced options choice and click on the ÂSet advanced options button.

Put a check mark for ÂResize and put a dot in the ÂSet new size option. I choose set new width to 800 and put a dot for ÂPixelsÂ.

Put a check mark for the ÂPreserve aspect ratio (proportional)Â choice and also for the "Use resample function(better quality)Â choice.

Use the ÂSave settings button to save these choices in a directory of your choice. Any is OK just remember it.

Click ÂOKÂ.

Click ÂStartÂ. This will resize your pictures and put them in the directory you have chosen.

Comments (6)