SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmsorkin

Giving up on grass -- how to convert to a woodlands?

lmsorkin
19 years ago

Hi all! I live in the suburbs in Northern NJ and have a side yard that is approx. 25' x 50' and surrounded by 5 deciduous trees (maple, cherry, walnut) and other houses.

For the past two years we have tried to grow grass in this area, because we have two small children and a dog who play in the yard. Both years we planted grass in the spring and it did real well until July when it began to die back. Right now looking outside at what was a lush green lawn in June it is now 25% green grass, 25% weeds and 50% dead grass. Last fall we even had some trees thinned and removed to try to bring in more sunlight.

So at this point I'm giving up on growing grass here. Would a woodlands garden work for me? Would it look totally out of place on a suburban lot?

I want to gradually add flower beds and ground covers, but I need a good sized open area for the kids and dogs to run and play. So my biggest and most pressing question is: What do I put down on the ground to cover the dirt? Last fall we used a mulching mower and shredded the leaves as they fell, but the shredded leaves blew away.

Any help is appreciated, as I feel completely overwhelmed. Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored