SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conroe_joe

Carolina Moonseed Vine

conroe_joe
16 years ago

Hi Gang,

I found this vine growing in Tamina, near The Woodlands. It was really pretty with lots of red berries shining on top of a small tree. I could barely see the vine part, but the berries were bright and pretty.

I took berries home and cleaned up the seeds and put them outdoors to germinate over winter in a 2-gallon container of clean potting soil. I just planted them on top of the soil or mixed them 1/4 inch deep, and I left them in full sun and rain over the winter. The seedlings came up in spring (April, I think) and when they were nearly two-years-old I pulled them out (in late winter, while the plants were dormant) and divided the roots into individual pots. The roots are sort of like slender peony roots; I cleaned off any top growth and replanted the roots for each vine, making sure that the irregularly-shaped roots were mostly covered with soil. I did allow some leaf buds to be exposed. I put one root per gallon container, or two roots per 2-gallon container and used good soil that was free of weed seeds and that drained well. Then I left the containers exposed to the sun and rain for the rest of the winter.

All of the roots put out growth in spring (by April or May) and I gave most of the plants away. They vines wilted when hot weather came until I put them so the pots were in the shade but the leaves were in the sun. I have one plant remaining; I'm waiting for it to fill out its container with roots this summer and then I'll plant it at the base of a dogwood or redbud in fall.

This is a great vine if you can find seeds. See the link for more info and a possible seed source.

Cordially,

Joe

Conroe TX

Here is a link that might be useful: A Gentle Vine for Texas Gardens

Comment (1)