SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
x3ro

Need some advice on small celosia, var. lirope & persian shield

x3ro
16 years ago

Just recently had my yard re-done by a landscaper.

Also had a few flower beds put in.

Up front, I had "mondo grass" put in. It's the green, shorter kind. Behind that is some "persian shield". They mostly get shade all day long.

Out back I had the smaller variety of celosia along with some "silver dragon" varigated lirope.

I also had sprinkler system put in, and there's a single zone that waters all the beds.

Have a few questions.

1. How long should I water these beds? The landscaper told me 15 minutes twice a week, but that seems excessive to me?

2. Some of the celosia have nasty looking leaves, and have lost some green color in the leaves. What's causing this, and what's the fix? Do I pinch off the nasty leaves?

3. The silver dragons have some brown on the edge of their blades. Is this normal? How do I care for these? Can I trim them up?

4. Up front, the mondo grass looks great. A little brown on some of the blades, but not much. Some of the persian shield though, some of the leaves are losing their purple color and turning green (the leaves closer to the soil).. What's causing this, and how do I correct it?

5. Not really garden related, but a foundation drip zone for my foundation was installed as well. Any ideas on how long and how many days a week this should run?

Comments (6)