SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ralphw_gw

Plants for the Spring Raleigh Plant Swap

Ralph Whisnant
7 years ago

The warm weather this weekend got me in the mood to think about our spring plant swap. I took lots of cutting and potted some hardy Begonia taipeiinsis, Iresine 'Blazin rose' and Africn Blue Basil. These three plants along with Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' have become some of my favorite plants and I plan to have some of each to share during our spring swap. Anyone else planting seed or taking cuttings? By the way, my blueberry bushes are starting to bloom and the peach tree buds will be open after a few more days of this unusual warm weather. A late hard freeze could be disastrous!

Comments (353)

• lamcgowa
    6 years ago

Ralph, I'd love an Alocasia baby. Do you think it would be happier as a houseplant here in WS? A tomato plant would be great as well since I love to try new varieties. Now all I have to do is clear my vegetable garden/intensive care garden of all the Hardy Begonias, Sunflowers, and Petasites to make room for my veges. Should I worry about any of these three becoming invasive elsewhere? Anyone interested in any of these plants? Ralph, I'll bring you a "Mystery Pot of Natives" from my woods. No Poison Ivy, I promise. Let me know if you'd like anything else.

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    6 years ago

Last call before we meet tomorrow. ..

Anyone need lemon balm, Peppermint , spear mint, Thorn less black berry, Coriander seeds for cilantro, fenugreek seeds, Amaranths seeds, Luffa seeds, opo seeds. Let me know soon.. I would need to cut them.

Happy packing for swapping trading exchanging, meeting greeting, hugging and last but not the least , Eating!!!!

• Judy Brown
    6 years ago

Ralph - The hardy begonia that I have is Kaylen. I would like to swap it for 2 tomato plants, if I may.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    6 years ago

No, Tammy. I meant we had arrived in Raleigh

• Mary C
    6 years ago

Hi all. I'm bring more of my irises. This time 'blue' I think is the name. An old style. Looks like this photo when in bloom (not my photo) http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/pictures/10000/nahled/296-1242336985ya94.jpg

• Mary C
    6 years ago

Oh, have to learn this new system. I've enjoyed all the past times I've been to the swap and have always ended up with great plants. Looking forward to seeing everyone and their plants tomorrow.

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Judy, 2 tomato plants for you and for iamcgowa, 1 tomato and 1 Alocacia baby. I do not know if it is hardy or not because it has always been over wintered inside and I do not have a name to look up. The petasites and hardy begonias are going to spread anywhere you plant them in the shade with a reasonable amount of moisture. The sunflowers should not be a problem. Mary, as a UNV fan, I think that the light blue flowers on your iris are lovely.

• karen__w z7 NC
    6 years ago

Ralph, did you already have Jeans Purple Passion?

Mary, is that by any chance the old grape scented Iris pallida?

• Mary C
    6 years ago

I've never noticed a scent (but I have a lousy sense of smell and allergies). Old as in given to Mom and Dad as pass-along plants when they moved into their house in 1962 and then I dug up some when I moved to my house? They like full sun and being ignored. Google images seems to match Iris pallida.

• karen__w z7 NC
    6 years ago

Mary, I love irises with a history. Can I bring you something in exchange for one?

• Judy Brown
    6 years ago

Mary, I would love to have one of your blue irises. I have an extra arbor vitae fern and ostrich fern if either of those are of interest to you.

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Karen, I did manage to winter over my Salvia Jean's Purple Passion. I just noticed it coming up in the pot it grew on.

• Mary C
    6 years ago

Karen and Judy, I have enough to share with everyone. I have full sun so not sure if ferns are the best option. I'm trying to fill in a slope in the back that goes into the common area behind the house. Neither the HOA yard crew nor I like mowing back there.

• karen__w z7 NC
    6 years ago

Mary, if you want, I can bring you some of that Salvia 'Jean's Purple Passion'. It will bloom all summer. Or I can just look for the iris in the general swap if that works better for you.

• Mary C
    6 years ago

I would love to swap for salvia. I'll have a separate amount for you.

• Judy Brown
    6 years ago

Mary - i will bring you a hot lips salvia for the irises

• thinkingofplants
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Im new to the plant awap but i will be bringing orchilds and ferns and Im looking for elephant ears and varigated irises if anyone has any.

• thinkingofplants
    6 years ago

Ralph I'd love any Alocasia or elephant ears you may have.

6 years ago

Thinikingof plants, Welcome!! Here is the thread for address!!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/4480985/2017-raleigh-spring-swap?n=30

http://www.garnernc.gov/Departments/Parks and Recreation/Parks.aspx?ID=25

White Deer Park - Pine Shelter in Garner. this is where we will all be today.

I can get you an elephant ear, May I have an orchid please?

• thinkingofplants
    6 years ago

Ty Sagji garden! And yes I'll save you the orchid and I'd love any elepant ears.

• thinkingofplants
    6 years ago

Judy Brown can I please have some of those beautiful hosta you have pictured?

• lisianthuslover
    6 years ago

Sorry I did not get crazy with special trades. I will see everyone soon. I am bringing :purple siberian irises, pink flamingo chinese celery, purple mexican petunia, common milkweed that the monarchs eat, mixed bearded irises, 3 purple homestead verbena, purple perilla, rosemary starts, Contraband girl iris virginica, iris cristata, horsetail, and coral sheffield chrysanthemum.

6 years ago

Chick pea salad recipe posted an a separate thread.

• Judy Brown
    6 years ago

Thinking of plants - I just saw your request for the June Hosta. Possibly we can do a pre-swap for the Fall. I'm always interested in orchids & ferns.

• karen__w z7 NC
    6 years ago

Laura, your purple spathed aroid isn't a green dragon after all, it's a Purple Dragon! Pinellia tripartata 'Atropurpurea'. Purple Dragon

• lamcgowa
    6 years ago

Ralph, Well that makes sense. Thanks for letting me know. I plan to buy a label maker on my way home from work today.

I'd also like to thank John for organizing the swap once again and thank everyone for bringing such beautiful, healthy plants. I'll try to keep them that way and hope to see everyone in the fall!

• thinkingofplants
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Anyone want to do a private swap? I'm looking for some Orostachys, jack & the pulpit, Varigated solomon seal, Varigated green & white Iris, mojito elephant ears, mammoth elephant ears & hardy Begonia's with beautiful colors. I have varigated hosta, A hardy banana plants, iris, several small yucca, & some Varigated green and yellow cannas.

• Judy Brown
    6 years ago

thinkingofplants - i would be very interested in doing a private swap. Where are you located? I'm in Winstn-Salem.I have jack in the pulpit, varigated soloman seal, 2 different types of hard begonias. I have been dividing plants, so if you're near by, I would be happy to sahre palnts with you.

• Judy Brown
    6 years ago

thinkingofplants, I apologize for the typos, in the above message. If you would like to send me a private email, please do so. I would be happy to share plants from my garden with you. Btw, I really appreciate the blue irises, I got from you at the Raleigh swap - very generous amount.

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thinkingofplants, I also would like to discuss swapping if you are near Raleigh.

• thinkingofplants
    6 years ago

Ralph I am interested in swapping if you have some of what I'm looking for. Im new to this site so I dont know how to do a private message on here.

• thinkingofplants
    6 years ago

Judy Brown I am definltely interested in swapping with you but I am near raleigh. If ever you want to meet in the middle say durham on a weekend I'll be more than happy to meet. I dont know how to do a private message on this site.

• Judy Brown
    6 years ago

thinkingofplants - I'm not sure how you message privately on this site. I think if you look at my profile, you might see a message button, that you can hit and it will send an email to me. My email address is linked to my profile. I looked at your profile and didn't see a message button.

• Judy Brown
    6 years ago

You can message other Houzz users that follow you by going to their profile and clicking the message button you see there. If someone does follow you, but you do not see a message button, that means they have disabled this feature in their account settings.

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thinkingofplants, here is a list of plants that I have to swap or sell with contact information. Saturday afternoon should be relatively quiet if you would like to come then. You can call or text me @ (919) 610-4532

Plt Sale at My Home Fri. 5/19 3 - 7 pm and Sat 8- 10:30 am and 3 - 5 (5124 Norman Place - Raleigh, NC)hide this posting

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

5124 Norman Place

(google map)SHADE PLANTS
    1. Stromanthe 1 -2 gals; $5. Needs shade and humidity. Tropical.
    2. Caladiums $3
    3. Canterbury Bells $2 (Campanula medium) Hardy ground cover with pink flowers
    4. Coleus pints $2; gals. $4 Over a dozen varieties, mostly sun tolerant.
    5. Plectranthus (Coleus relative); pts $2; gals. $4; Bavarian Ivy, Swedish Ivy and P. argentatus 'Silver Shield'. One hanging basket Swedish Ivy $5
    6. Foam Flowers (Tiarella) 1 gal $4
    7. Coral Bells (Heuchera) 1 gal $5; 3 gal $12. Black Currant, few others
    8. Heucherella (Cross between Tiarella and Heuchera) Tapestry (have 1) - $10; Solar Power $5.
    9. Quad Color Wandering Jew $2.50 per pt
    10. Solomon's Seal, Variegated (Polygonatum odoratum variegatum) - gals $5.
    11. Celandine Poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum) Native wood poppy $2.50 gals- pint seedlings $1
    12. Begonias - B. grandis - hardy - gals $2; Begonia hybrids pts $2
    13. Petasites japonicus Variegatus (Japanese Coltsfoot)
    14. Basket Plant (Callisia fragrans) - Looks like a bromiliad but is a relative of Tradescantia.
    15. Japanese Painted Fern gals $4

Plants for Full or Part Sun

15. Cannas - Bengal Tiger gals or larger $4 - Green lvs w/yel flwrs $1 each
    16. Elephant Ears - (Colocasia esculenta) - "Black Spreader', Illustris', 'Fontanesii' - pints $2.50;
    gals $4.
    Alocasia ee's $2.50 each pints Parent plant medium large with dark green leaves and black stems. Hardiness not known
    17. Showy Evening Primrose (Oenothera speciosa Siskiyou) Beautiful pink flowers.
    18. Native Evening Primrose (Probably O. biennis) - pts $2.50. Very large yellow flowers uncurl
    slowly at dusk. Lemon scent attracts moths and perfumes the garden. Have 1 left.
    19. Dwarf Ornamental (Patio) Peach Trees $7.50 ea in gal pots Bronze leaves (Bonfire seedlings)
    20. Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) - $2.50 for all sizes. Flowers attract a lot of different bees,
    wasps and other insects. Leaves are food for Monarch. Spreads by underground rhyzomes.
    21. Foxglove (Digitalis) Several varieties and colors. Gals $4
    22. Four O'Clocks (Mirabilis jalapa) 'Broken Colors' pts $2.50; Multiple colors on same flower.
    23. Forsythia 'Early Times' - $4 Leaves are variegated light green on dark green in cool weather
    24. Sedum (Stonecrop)- 'Red Carpet and Fireglow'. Gals $4
    25. Green and Gold aka Gold Star- (Chrysogonum virginianum) Gals $4
    26. Tomato plants - $2.50 - Better Boy, Sun Gold and a unique
    new variety with fruit dark purple with green stripes I have named Ralph's Lime Mocha for now.

• lorabell_gw
    6 years ago

ID request :

Flowering small shrub up front. Love, love it, received in trade a year or so back, should have / know the name but I've been drawing a blank. Want to propagate and use more but want to read up a bit on its behavior first...

• karen__w z7 NC
    6 years ago

Lorabell, I think that was from me, spring 2016 -- Spirea japonica 'Gold Mound'. It must love you too, given how well it's grown in a year.

• lorabell_gw
    6 years ago

That's it and thanks so much!

It definitely has taken off, blooming since March in my shaded area. I'll be taking starts to use in my landscaping attempts -out in the sun where it belongs!

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    6 years ago

Karen__w,

Speaking about plant ID: it looks like the emerging material we believed was Eryngium yuccifolium is turning out to be Platycodon grandiflorus 'Astra Double Blue'. Seems that the potted Eryngium seedlings didn't do well in the crawl space. So we may have to fall back on seeds.

• karen__w z7 NC
    6 years ago

Les, noted. I like Platycodon too so will plant it out accordingly.

Speaking of seeds, Jaimie, do you have any germination in your Nepenthes yet? I think I've got one. At least it doesn't look like my usual Impatiens that seeds all around the greenhouse.

• Jaimie
    6 years ago

Karen,

Nope mine aren't germinating, but others who got it had germination. I'll try again someday, maybe with a different method xD

This is someone elses with the same seeds:

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    6 years ago

During this spring I distributed a number of tomato plants labeled Ralph Whisnant or perhaps Lime Mocha. Currently I am growing about 10 of this variety and several are even bigger and more beautiful than the original plant's fruit from last year. If you are growing one of these tomatoes, I would like to know how your plant is doing and whether the fruit looks like the original. A picture of the original was posted on this forum somewhere above. It is the one labeled Vintage Wine because that was what the plant was labeled when I was given it. The latter is a potato leaf heirloom that looks quite different. I am also growing Chocolate Stripe for comparison.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    6 years ago

Unfortunately none of my tomatoes are doing very well. My first one of yours was eaten by something after I had been watching it's growth for what seemed like weeks.

• lorabell_gw
    6 years ago

My vintage wine did very well. Ate one for breakfast this morning..shape and coloring exactly as your picture. It is a monster of a plant, grown in a 4x4 by itself and been getting lots of love. It has produced some doozies- at least a pound- the largest I've grown in the south. Now there wasn't a lot of them, maybe around 15 total in the span of the last month, but it definitely an indefinite variety and some of the new growth is flowering. Oh, yummy like the chocolates should be.

6 years ago

To follow up on our discussion of Helleborus foetidus with Karen and Judy at timestamps April 1-2. Our concern was to what degree the problems with dividing it extend to transplanting as a reflection of possible sensitivity to root disturbance. We are pleased to report that the extracted single plant that we obtained from Judy has done very well. It was first kept in a pot in deep shade the whole summer and watered well, even putting on some growth:

It was planted out in the first week of November slightly raised with an extra layer of soil added around it (because of root competition in that bed). It is blooming right now:

A couple of additional backup plants, obtained in that same batch but kept together in one pot, didn't make it through the summer, indicating that they are still quite sensitive to growth conditions, similar to the earlier batches that were planted out immediately in spring and died.

In addition our plan B, to scatter in a number of locations the seeds obtained from Karen plus collected from local sites, turned out fully successful: we got germination of multiple seedlings at each location. So we may finally get some H. foetidus growing.

• karen__w z7 NC
    6 years ago

Looks really good with the palm there. I predict that now you have seedlings going out in the garden, you will never be without it.

I've got a crop of H. lividus seedlings getting their first true leaf in the greenhouse, and I'm finally starting to see germination of H. x sternii 'Rachel' after putting the seed pots back outside a month ago for some chill time. The lividus were open pollinated so it's very possible that they're crosses, but so far they're looking a lot like the seed parent.

5 years ago

Please note that the plant we traded under the name "tree aloe" (obtained itself at the swap without precise identification) has been identified as Aloe ciliaris, climbing aloe. It appears that it is not able to form a stable bona fide "tree" trunk and single-stemmed plants will ultimately flop over without support. Multistemmed plants (induced by top removal) may form a more stable shrubby branching structure.

• thinkingofplants
    5 years ago

Has there been a date set for the next swap? I'm so excited and I've already started looking for plants to bring to the swap.

5 years ago

Thinkingofplants, see the parent forum of this thread for the swap announcement and the active trading list.

• Lauren Clear
    5 years ago

Does anyone have cuttings of pussy willows?

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living