SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_toronto

What to do when plants approach top of stakes so early?

anthony_toronto
14 years ago

Some of my plants are nearly to the top of my 8-foot bamboo (bamboo at least 18 inches in the ground, so plants almost 6.5 feet tall). For some of these plants, a lot of the flowers are at the 5-6 foot mark. I have not had a lot of success letting plants droop once they get taller than the stakes, and don't want to invest in taller stakes or try to attach a stake to the top of existing ones. These plants have ample suckers growing from ground level and from higher up on the plant. Would it make sense to top the taller stems once they are too tall to be supported, and encourage the growth of the lower stems?

On another note, it seems impossible to support by staking and to also avoid pruning. Just too many stems to support. Plants have only been in the ground for 4 weeks, but all have 2 or 3 stakes and at least one has 5 stakes, and can still barely keep up with all of the stems (2 or 3 stems tied to each stake). Not sure how you guys do it, and texas tomato cages are not cost/space efficient for me I think.

Comments (14)