SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alpheus_gw

Tomato out growing cages

alpheus
13 years ago

This is my first year gardening and subsequently have made several mistakes. The current mistake that is problematic is my choice of using little cages to grow my tomato's in. When I planted I just took the old 33" cages from my grandfather's old shed and was assured they would be fine because tomato's never grow that large. I now recognize that this was in total error. I have two Black Krim plants that are bursting out of the top and sides of the small cages, a black cherry which will soon be doing the same, a sunsugar cherry coming out the top, and soon my brandywines and pineapples will exceed the cages.

What is the best way for me to compensate for putting them in cages that are way to small? I don't think i can remove them from the small cages and put something else in place, at least not for most of the plants. Should I clip the growing vines and try to keep them small? Is there a decent and adaptable frame or large cage that I can put around them that will allow them to grow? I would love to let them grow to 6-8 feet tall if they will get that large... I think it would be pretty cool to see a tomato that large, I never have seen one growing much larger than these small cages.

Comments (7)