SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Started some seeds yesterday-- newbie questions!

bananastand
14 years ago

OK, I'm very excited to be starting my first garden at our new house. I will be building raised beds for herbs and veggies. Most of our yard is surrounded by mature maple trees, so the food garden will get a fair amount of shade. Flowers and some other plants will be container gardened on sunny front porch.

OK, on to my question!! I bought the kind of starter pots that you can just plant right into the ground (Jiffy pots). So, my question is, what seeds should I start ahead, and what ones should I direct seed? Transplanting tender young seedlings should not be an issue since I will just plant the Jiffy pots right in the raised bed when the time comes. Right now the only thing I plan to direct sow is lettuce, and spinach.

Here are my other plants-- are there any I should NOT pre-start? I have a black trays with clear plastic greenhouse dome near a sunny window to start these in. Thank you for your help and comments!

Veg and Herbs:

Catskill Brussels Sprouts-- I know to plant in the ground in fall, but when should I start the seed then? Now? Summer?

Bleu of Solaise Leek

Pea, Amish Snap

Cilantro, Slo-Bolt

Oregano, Vulgare

Herb, Genovese Basil (will go in sunny planter in front yard)

Herb, Rosemary

Parsley Giant Of Italy

Flowers:

Ball's Improved Orange Calendula

Sensation Mix Cosmos

Flower, Blue Poppy

Here are my planter pots, which it says you can just plant right in:

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/ogs/OGSorderItem.php?id=9026&listname=Seed-Starting

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews