SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_sweetgrass

Native Plants for Southwest Savanna

organic_sweetgrass
16 years ago

First time posting here, so greetings everyone!

I hope someone here can provide me with some guidance regarding a small residential project that I am working on.

I recently purchased a home in the city of Mineral Point, in Iowa County, Wisconsin. I would like to transform my backyard from an urban-styled grass lawn into an area that supports plants, trees, flowers, shrubs that are Native to this particular area. I have never landscaped on a large scale before and would like to make sure that whatever I plant is Natively appropriate from the get go.

After conducting some research on Wisconsin's DNR website I was able to determine that the "ecological landscape" I live in would be referred to as, "Southwest Savanna"; however, there were no immediate resources listed on specific plant species for this area.

I plan on doing the planning and design of the yard myself, therefore contacting consultants would not be a feasible solution. I'm hoping that someone would be able to point me in the right direction towards any resources [either online or publications] that list native species for my specific area, rather than general resources for the Midwest or Wisconsin.

Lastly, if anyone knows of or has had experience with purchasing Native plants from this area of the state I would greatly benefit from some recommended sources within 50 miles from zip code 53565.

My apologies for the length and my utmost respect for all responses.

Sincerely,

organic_sweetgrass

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm