SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupcakebiswas

Rosemary Hedge: Spacing for dense screen fast!

cupcakebiswas
14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We have three "uplighting" fixtures in in the bed that is flush with the front of the house. They're supposed to accentuate the peaks of the roof... two fixtures on the left front and one fixture on the right front. Well, they looked pretty bad with nothing in front of them as it was (new development, tiny shrub foundation planting that came with the house), but then we switched to compact florescent lights for the fixtures. Now it looks incredibly bright, and only accentuates the fact that we don't have a good foundation planting. These lights are huge... two lights per fixture, floodlights. Each fixture is about 18" wide, but flush with the ground and the house. Last night while I was laying in bed trying to figure out what to do, I thought about some Tuscan Blue Rosemarys I had seen at Lowe's. They got six feet tall and between 2 and 4 feet wide. I envisioned a nice, dense hedge of affordable, drought tolerant, sun loving rosemary in front of the light fixtures, hiding them from plain sight. Well, today I went to Lowes and all they had were two Tuscan Blue Rosemarys and two Arp Rosemarys and a whole bunch of the trailing rosemary (of course). I didn't know anything about the Arps, but since they grew to a comparable size and there was nothing else, I grabbed those, too. So I have two Arps and two Tuscan Blues.

On the tag, it says to space them about 2-3 feet apart (both cultivars). Should I space them that far apart if I want a dense hedge to block out those light fixtures, or should I go closer? I know I'll probably have to run to another Lowe's and try to find some more, but I am dying to get in there and get started right now so I can get a real idea of what I need.

So anyway, my question is, should I keep the spacing at about3', or should I cram them in tight to make it dense? Or will they eventually get dense enough at 3', and Ishould just stick with that?

Also, how fast does Rosemary grow in Texas? It will be on the west side of the house, full sun. Miracle Grow garden soil and transplanting vitamins.

Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting