SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notenoughroses_gw

A few of my favorite things...

notenoughroses
22 years ago

Yaupon and Possumhaw hollies, of course. I had been wanting to have a flock of cedar waxwings visit forever and finally did one day last winter. They stripped the hollies clean in just an hour, but I had such a wonderful time watching them and am hoping they return again this year.

Virginia sweetspire (Itea virginica). It is such a wonderful shade of red right now. I am seeking a few more open spots in my garden where I plant some more!

Rose - Therese Bugnet - a hybrid rugosa. This is one of the first roses I planted and it is still one of my favorites. We cannot grow red-twigged dogwoods here, but this is an acceptable subsitute, I think. Right now its leaves are a bright red from the few frosts we have had and its branches are crimson red. Soon the leaves will all fall off, all the better to show off the branch color.

Rose - Martha Gonzalez - a "found" China rose. The foliage on this rose turns a nice shade of red in the fall and stays that way all winter long. In early spring, she will drop all her leaves, bloom, then put on new leaves.

Mesquite. Okay, I know this is a true love it/hate it tree... It is actually our neighbor's tree but overhangs our property. I just love all the birds that visit it in the winter. Plus, it has such a open and graceful form.

Herbs... I love the look of rosemary mixed into flower beds, especially when planted near a pathway. Cilantro and chervil - can't be without those during the winter. (My house rabbit loves them!) Salad burnett - grows by leaps and bounds during the winter, then sits and pouts all summer.

A little later into winter, I love my Bridal's wreath spirea. I know this is such a ho-hum plant the rest of the year, but I love the way it looks with the daffodils and species tulips.

Crepe myrtles. Okay, this is the most over-planted thing here in the south and I have never planted one on our property, but the place did come with a number of them and I have come to love their peeling bark and smooth trunks during the winter.

I am sure I am forgetting a few of my favorites plants, but that list is long enough! Please share! What are your favorite plants?

~ Suzie

Comments (5)

Sponsored