SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nandina_gw

I don't garden in the summer

nandina
22 years ago

Here in the Low Country of SC. summer gardening is ugly. Heat, humidity, bugs, gnats. So, most of my gardening is confined to fall, winter and spring. At the moment all is growing well. Lettuce and cole crops are happy. Roses are blooming. Camellias in the height of bloom. Big pots of parsley in the gardens. Snapdragons, Coleus, Serissa, New Zealand Tea tree, Dianthus, petunias, blueberries, early Viburnums, some azaleas, pansies, Rosemary, all in full bloom.

But, I look forward to winter for another reason. We back directly onto a shallow salt water lake which reaches as far as I can see. It is bordered by ancient live oaks that arch out over the water and are evergreen. The lake is too shallow for boats and there are no buildings to mar the view. The water level is tidal and controlled by a dam which keeps the water clean and at the proper height. In the winter when the ocean cools and the fish seek lower levels, the ocean birds move into the shallow lakes such as ours. It is an amazing sight! All the Herons and gulls, Pelicans and waders. Wood storks and many types of ducks winter here. Osprey and a pair of Bald Eagles soar overhead. Hundreds of birds! Exciting to watch! Winter gardening is wonderful here!

Comments (7)

Sponsored