SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindaschreiber_gw

Nut Sedge and Lamium control

LindaSchreiber
9 years ago

Apologies for the length....

I'm usually organic all the way, and the "just get down and weed it out" type. But I have used chemicals carefully in the past for the horrors (on major infestations of Canadian thistle and into the rootstocks of huge mature pokeweeds.

I've just started helping an older co-worker with bad knees try to get control of her long-neglected perennial beds, and have run into my first nut sedge infestation. Nasty. The soil is good, but short of lifting and sieving out the top 6" of an 8' x 75' bed.... I have been weeding out with tools, and getting the active plant clusters, but each hole then contains 1 or more dozens of dormant nutlets, and they are also scattered on and in the rest of the soil.

And another huge bed overgrown with Lamium, which is doing a good job of eating the perennials. Spent a few hours trying to follow and clear out all the runners and bits of runners I could find, and managed about a 3' x 4' area.

I'm just not going to have the available time and oomph to keep up with this. So I am looking at Round-Up. I know it will only act on aboveground growth and those associated roots, and that nutlets and Lamium runners will keep putting out growth. Luckily, the perennials in both beds are currently well-spaced-out, and I will be able to use a small mister to avoid other damage.

But are either of these nasties resistant to Round-Up? Or does active growth die-die-die? This is not an area where I can use layering or soil-heating to help. On days when I am there, I can spend an hour spritzing regrowth and then move on to other things. But continuous reweeding, as I might do in my own yard, just won't fly.

Is this feasible?

Comments (5)