SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oofasis

Anyone know how to get rid of nut sedge in my lawn?

oofasis
16 years ago

Oh, it's horrible. It's taken over half of the backyard lawn. We tried Round-Up on it several times but the sedge just keeps right on poking up from the dirt. About a year ago we'd hired a crew who'd left a business card at our door. We have a smallish California front and back yard, and needed to have all the shrubs and trees trimmed back and a fresh new lawn. The crew chief (and the only one who spoke any English at all) was very personable, but by the time we came to realize he was a fast-talker and really didn't know what he was doing, it was too late. We opted to have top soil added and used grass seed (it's just my husband and I, so it wasn't a big deal to keep off the growing grass for a few weeks). Everything seemed fine until I noticed that an entire section of the back lawn was growing at a much faster pace -- then saw that it wasn't grass after all but what was eventually identified as nut sedge. I don't know if it was in the seed or the soil that they brought, but I'd never seen this stuff before. It just doesn't die out. It grows about two or three times more quickly than grass, so the "leaves" stick way up higher than the blades of grass and looks awful.

Any suggestions? If this isn't the right place for my question, would you know where I could go for help? Thanks.

Comments (6)

Sponsored