SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valentinetbear

Keeping Birds Happy in the Cold Months for City Folk

valentinetbear
16 years ago

I live in a rowhome (townhouses that are for blue collar people -- or merely just local lingo) in Philly, so our "yards" are, at best, 16 feet X 16 feet, and generally concrete. I container garden, but never had to worry about our local sparrows (pigeons, and starlings too, but I'm not fond of them, so not trying to keep them around) having a nice hiding place in winter, because the house, three doors down (which means merely 48 feet from my house), had let their backyard go, and it had vegetation two stories high, with only a very tall rose bush that I could identify. Well, apparently something happened, and it got sold last winter, and the new owners took out all the growth. Gotta mean it's up to me to give our local bird population a place to survive the winter. Ut-oh!

The tallest plants I have are the dead, dried popcorn stalks (already picked what was left of the popcorn) and what's left of medium-size sunflower stalks behind a trellis (each end stuck into a container, if you're wondering how to do a trellis with concrete), with the left side supporting my two year old clematis, and the right side and the 4-foot high, chain link fence all along that side) supporting a variety of vines:

- dead pumpkin vines that had Powdery Mildew, but, fortunately, for the birds, one of the pumpkins didn't make it to harvest time, so lots of pumpkin seeds and goo on both sides of the fence

- moonflowers

- hyacinth beans

- malabar spinach

- wild morning glory (I think)

- "hummingbird vine" (bought from the Sunday paper coupon section, where it promised 8 feet in the first year, and lots of flowers hummingbirds would love, but never got past 5 feet, and never flowered at all).

I also have tomato vines, some four feet high parcel (not sure if it's a hybrid or regular herb, but it taste like parsley and celery), some small bushes (lavender, a hummingbird bush that is less then a foot high, a 2-3 foot wide X 18 inch high rose with garlic growing around it, A spindly Russian Sage, that will die back in the winter, way too many basils), a container with blue fescue and tall plumed purple grass that's about 3-4 feet tall bought in August, and a 1 foot fig "tree," that is hardy up to my zone.

Having had problems with squirrels for the tomato plants in previous years, half of them are under bird netting for fruit trees (I never considered they'd keep growing when I put the netting on, and can't get it off, now that it's so intrically caught throughout the different tomato plants. Doh!)

I've been collecting the hyacinth seeds religiously, until today, when I noticed the amount of bird poop on my succulents right underneath them. Just researched and discovered that the beans are edible, so the birds can have the rest.

What I need to know is what do I let remain, even after they die, so the birds have places to hide in during the winter? Also, out of all I've mentioned, what would they enjoy during the winter months to eat without poisoning them accidentally?

I can't/won't do bird houses, both because I have no place to hang any, except on the trellis (which I'd prefer using to hang some bird feed instead) and, frankly, I have a bug phobia that included maggots, so don't have the courage to clean them out.

Being disabled, I usually take out all the vegetation for composting, to make it easier to start over next year, but birds surviving winter trump "easier next year."

Can you help someone so incredibly naive about helping birds survive? Thanks for the education lessons, ahead of time. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Teddy Bear Blog, which includes photos of the garden

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus