SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mesquiteman

Photos of my first veggie garden

mesquiteman
10 years ago

As some may have seen, I am growing my first veggie garden this year. I started with an area that had a lot of dead oaks and cedars that died from the drought. I cleared them all and then dug up the native soil and rocks as deep as I could go. I went through all the dirt and removed all the rocks, then brought in some sandy loam to make up the deficit. I then built 4 raised beds with 2x6 lumber that are 4' x 16' and filled them with mushroom compost. I then used a mini-excavator to dig it all in and mix it all up.

I also had to build a fence to keep the deer out so this was done with 4x4 treated posts the a (2) 2x4 top rail using 2x4 welded wire. I stretched the wire with a homemade wire stretcher and a come-a-long. I put in a main entry gate and arbor as well as a back gate so I can get to my stockpiles of mulch and compost. Lastly, I added a flower garden outside the front of the garden where my wife planted deer resistant flowers. It ran a water line to the garden and put in a complete drip irrigation system.

The amazing thing to me is I started knocking down the trees on April 7, 2013 and this is what I have now, less than two months later!

Here is what I have planted:
5 Porter Tomatoes
2 Black Cherry Tomatoes
1 Celebration Tomato
1 Jalapeno M
2 TAM Jalepenos
2 California Wonder Bell Peppers
1 Red Bell Pepper
3 Burpless Cucumbers
2 Black Beauty Zucchini
2 Crimson Sweet Watermelons
1 Honey Rock Muskmelon
6 8' rows of Ambrosia Sweet Corn
1 8' row of Golden Wax Beans
1 8' row of Contender Bush Beans
1 8' row of Royal Burgundy Bush Beans
2 8' row of Texas Cream Cowpeas
1 8' row of Emerald Okra
1 5' row of Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans

So far, I am 100% organic

This pic is about a week ago and is a general pic showing the arbor from a distance with the corn and beans.

Comments (21)