SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dfred_gw

Question about getting ready for fall gardening

dfred
15 years ago

My first summer garden has been pretty fun. It was nice to eat tomatoes, yellow squash, cucumbers, and peppers fresh from the garden. I've found that I am really enjoying gardening and If I am understanding correctly it's getting close to the time when I need to be preparing for my fall garden... From what I understand I need to start my vegies from seeds indoor but I really don't have a good window in the house where I can get sunlight to my seedlings.. Is this going to make a big diffrence? Can the seeds be started in a shaded area under my porch instead of inside the house or does it have to be in the house becuase of proper temperature? What are some good seeds to start indoors (if necessary)?

I am in the process of preparing a 15' x 30' area of my yard for a future gardening. There will be appx. 20 feet of fencing for climbing vegetables. I'm interested in growing anything that's eatable, ( tomatoes, beans, peas, melons, herbs, etc...) really anything. I plan on having a few raised beds, as well as just old fashion in ground beds. In the future I want to go to all raised beds becuase from what I understand they are just better but due to the cost of lumber I will just do a few at a time. Are there any suggestions on what vegetables do better in raised beds vs. just in the ground.

Comment (1)