SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

for those of you in bear country...I need some advice

dirtgirl
18 years ago

Well it's been tough times lately, very very tough. My husband's father passed away a few days ago and we are trying to get some semblance of normalcy back into our lives but it's a slow thing.

My mother-in-law is terrified of strangers, terrified of strange noises, and terrified of most animals. This is where I could use some help from you forumers that live in bear country. Eveyone in the family is saying that we ought to get my MIL a firearm of some sort for protection but I think that would be the worst mistake we could make...if you are not familiar with a firearm and being around one makes you nervous as it does her, then it is a threat and not a form of protection at all. Besides-she'd be throwing bullets at any animal that strayed into the yard! I think a better idea would be to get her one of the large aerosol cans of bear repellent to put in a closet or next to the door...something to make her feel more secure even if she never has to really use it. I have used small cans of dog repellent before, and although I might still find one of those for her to put in her purse, they are not always dependable---by the time you use it one or two times in practice and to get the feel of it, the small cans are close to empty. Even the psychology of seeing a large potent-looking canister on her shelf would surely help, although she would know it wasn't a toy and certainly a dangerous thing.

I have looked up bear repellent on the web and I'm so confused as to deciding which product would be the best choice. The Guard Alaska line looks promising but there are others...

Do any of you know anything about the various products?? I'd have to order this...we aren't exactly used to stocking such things in southern Illinois.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022